With the holiday season fast approaching, and countless parties and festive social events you might have to attend – you want to make sure your hair is fabulous! Remember our hair is as delicate as it is beautiful, therefore it is imperative that you treat your hair like you would a fine silk blouse – with extra care.
Regular conditioning, daily moisturizing and quality hair care products are a must!
Winter Hair Care Tips:
Winter is the season that wrecks the most havoc on curly tresses. From the seemingly instant change in climate to the daily assault of dry, brittle wind and frizz-producing rain — a curly girl just doesn’t have a chance! However, you can counter the evils of winter by incorporating a good hair regime and using only quality products for your hair.
Product choice is paramount. Look for moisturizing cleansers and conditioners and hydrating stylers and leave in products.
- Over shampooing and under conditioning are common culprits for dry, frizzy hair. Winter weather further exacerbates the issue. Therefore, shampooing more than 1x a week is not recommended. I recommend shampooing 2-3x a month, for dry and/or damaged hair, and 1x a week for undamaged curly hair.
- Proper conditioning is one of the most important steps for maintaining a head of radiantly health hair. Unfortunately, most of us do not take the time to adequately do so. Deep conditioning, with heat, is recommended,
- On the other “shampoo-less” days do a conditioning rinse – rinse hair to remove styling products (this is where using the right products that are water soluble come in….such as our products), apply an ample amount of conditioner comb through, rinse and proceed with styling. Doing so will pump much needed moisture back into your hair without stripping away essential nutrients, rinse away unnecessary dirt and oil and give you a fresh clean start.
- Avoid products that contain mineral and/or petrolatum oil as an ingredient. Do not use products with these ingredients for your curly hair or scalp. Both of these synthetic oils coat and suffocate the hair shaft blocking moisture out. Further, they clog pores in your scalp and can retard hair growth.
Read your labels. Remember, the ingredients are listed in order of volume. If you hair requires an oil, use only natural oils that penetrate the hair shaft (e.g. coconut, almond, olive, pomegranate seed oil).
Holiday Hair Do’s
- Give your hair a pre-holiday deep treatment, with heat, especially if you plan to heat style your hair. This extra step will help protect the cuticle from damage.
- Nothing is more unattractive then sparse, stringy ends, especially on girls/women with curly hair. Regular trims should be a part of your hair care regimen. Curly hair should be trimmed at least every 3 months, and 1 week before a major event or party. But don’t just trust anyone with your gorgeous locks. Ensure that your stylist is familiar with styling and cutting curly hair.
- Use the right tools when styling your hair. Always opt for natural boar bristle brushes and not nylon brushes, as they tend to break the hair especially during winter months.
- Don’t overdo the heat styling. Excessive blow drying, flat ironing and curly will perpetuate dryness and encourage breakage.
- Go natural! Explore you hair and its glory. Go for the sexy, messy look. Cleanse, condition, moisturize your curly tresses and let them be.
STYLE TIP: Once your hair is dry, gently secure various ringlets tautly to your scalp with bobby pins. Allow a few curly tresses to dangle in your face.
Let the sparkle and shimmer of the holiday season inspire you to have fun with your hairstyle. A little red dress, stunning stilettos, accessories to die for and a hot handbag are just what a woman needs to turn heads at any holiday bash.
Top it all off with the perfect hairstyle and you’ve got a look that’s simply stunning!
Pro Tip: Get the best African American hairdryer online The tool, when purchased, comes with one (1) comb attachment and the remaining attachments are sold separately which work well for drying and styling hair.
The Hair Tool embodies an innovative design and is perfect for use on all types of beautiful natural ethnic hair that range from natural curly hair, to Afros, dreadlocks and kinky and coarse hair textures. To ease access while styling, the MC Professional Hot-N-Happy Hair Tool with Secure Combs also comes with a stand, on which the tool can be placed to stand upright. Feel free to reach out to us with any questions at www.mchotnhappy.com.